A quick update to say Edita is spending a third night at Everest Base Camp after Saturday’s tragic earthquake.
There is no hurry to return to Kathmandu. Many hotels are closed or without power, and guests are sleeping outside for fear of aftershocks. We understand there have been no flights out of Kathmandu, other than for emergency response.
Meanwhile on the Everest trail many tea houses have been destroyed, and accommodation and food is limited. There are no flights from Lukla and helicopter evacuations have been limited to rescue flights. Edita’s team is not therefore a priority and they have decided to remain at base camp for now.
Earlier today 150 climbers who were trapped above the Khumbu Icefall at Camps 1 and 2 were evacuated to base camp by helicopter.
Our thoughts remain with everyone in Nepal during this difficult time. When she manages to escape from base camp Edita hopes to help her employer the World Food Programme (WFP) with their response to the Nepal earthquake.
Please help if you can by donating to the WFP relief effort.